Saturday 21 July 2012

How I Make Kaju Rice, Khichadi, Jira Rice and Chicken Biryani using Microwave?



How I make "Kaju Rice" using Microwave?

1. I take rice as much as my friends can stuff in to their bellys. Then wash it twice-trice till I am not satisfied.
2. I have a microwave safe glass jar, which I generally use for cooking rice.
3. I put the rice into the jar, put handful of cashew nuts cracked into 4 pieces.
4. Put 3-4 cloves, 2 sweet elaichis, 2 table spoon of Desi Ghee.
5. A half pinch of salt and mix it.
6. Add sufficient water. Safest measure is 1:2 i.e. 2 cups water for 1 cup rice. But you can vary depending upon your choice. Some like soft grain, some like hard. I prefer soft. For biryanis I prefer hard. For khichdi very soft.
7. Put it in a microwave for 30 mins. My microwave is pretty slow - 799W. My friend's one is really fast, just 12 mins.

You should read this, how I arrived at 30 mins?

First time I used a microwave. Tourchered my friend with silly questions. Twice happened to burn a tiffin box. Once tried heating a jalebi by keeping it in a plastic box which was suppose to be microwave safe. The next time heated a bread slice and happened to burn the box in a greed of making toast out of it.
So when I bought a new microwave, I kept the rice for 12 mins. My friends microwave cooks rice for him in 12 mins. After 12 mins I found that the rice was cooked partially. I went on gradually increasing the timer and finally found that on 30th min my rice was completely cooked.
So my micorwave cooks rice in 30mins.

"Smart Khichadi - using Microwave"

1. Take rice and daal(Tuwar/Moong) wash it.
2. Fine cut onion.
3. Fine cut tomoto if you like.
4. Small cut potatoes.
5. One table spoon of peanuts (peanuts can be fried, non-fried, roasted, non-roated..any).
5. Half table spoon haldi.
6. Half table spoon red chilli powder or fine cut green chillies (as much spicier delights you).
7. Salt to taste.
8. Ghee 2 table spoon.
9. Jira 1/4 table spoon.
10. I table spoon of mango pickle.
11. Mix it well, add sufficient water and I cook it in microwave (my microwave) for 30 mins.
12. People love soft grain for khichdi, so pour more water.
13. More water may dilute the taste, so take care of the salt and other spices.
14. After removing mix it well, since there are chances of onion and jira, to float above. But, don't worry about the taste, they leave their taste in water while boiling.

"Jira Rice - using Microwave"

1. Heat ghee in a saute pan.
2. Put 1 table spoon of jira.
3. When Jira spreads nice aroma, put the mixture on to washed rice.
4. Mix and let it stand for 2 minutes.
5. Put it in microwave (my microwave) for 30 mins.
6. If you like colors in it, sprinkle half table spoon mix of finely chopped spring onion, coriondar, curry leaves and green chillies.

"Layered Chicken Biryani - using Microwave"

For Rice: (4-5 people serving)

1. Put cashews nuts, 7 cloves, 7 black pepper,
    2 sweet elaichi, 2 badi elaichi, 2 bay leaves,
    2 dalchini sticks, pinch of salt, 1/4 table spoon sugar,
    2 table spoon of ghee in washed rice.
2. Mix it well. You may opt to put in haldi for color.
3. Cook for 20 mins (my microwave). Biryani looks and tastes good with stiff rice.
4. Keep aside.

For Chicken

1. 4 Onion cut in lengths.
2. 3 tomotoes cut in length.
3. Heat oil/ghee, put ginger-garlic paste or shreded.
4. Put on it onions.
5. Stir till onion gets rich brown and spreads nice aroma.
6. Put in tomotoes and stir till tomatoes get a bit mashed up.
7. Put haldi, red chilli powder, garam masala, dhania jeera powder, salt to taste and stir for 2 minutes.
8. Add chicken preferably marinated in curd, haldi, green chilli paste for atleast 1/2 hr. While cooking add the red chilli powder depending upon your delight for spicy food.
9. Mix well, cover the pan and let it cook on medium stove till chiken cooks well. Note that we are not using water at all.

Arrange Layers

1. Grease a pan.
2. Arrange a layer of rice.
3. Put a layer of chiken.
4. Arrange a layer of rice.
5. Put a layer of chiken.
6. Arrange a layer of rice.
7. Mix cup of milk with curd and kesar strands (optional to haldi).
8. Put the mix on the rice.
9. In a saute pan take 2 table spoon of ghee.
10. Once heated, put in 4 cashew nuts and onion cut in rings.
11. Stir the onion and cashew till crispy-dark-red.
12. Put the mix on the rice.
13. Put a lid and keep it on a very very low flame for 20 mins. Off the stove and keep it as it is.
14. Open the lid when ready to serve. I bet you will fall in love of the rich aroma.

The same stuff you can do it using microwave. Arrange the layers in a microwave safe jar and put it for 5-10 minutes. You can opt to cover the jar with plastic cling. But remember to pierce it with fork at random points.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, thank you for taking this live. Life is very fast and busy and most of them have their parents working too. People like me don’t even try for cooking just because of lack of right channel; instead we opt for ready to eat option. This initiative will definitely help many of us to at least give a try. I want you to regularly update this blog with some more awesome recipes Please post some more …
    Please help me with few more recipes like,
    Kaleji Masala
    Egg Bharva Masala

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx for visiting the blog and providing your valuable comments. There is gonna be a series of egg recipes. R surely in pipeline.

      Keep following <>

      Delete
  2. could u also includes veg layered biryani .. everything else is super awesome !! mu me paani aa gaya .. wil refer this for sure !! :)

    ReplyDelete